Cabled Fingerless Mittens with Fiona Morris
Sat 19th October 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm| £45
These mittens are a fun knit and make great gifts. They are knitted in the round using either double pointed needles or 2 circular needles. A one by one cable outlines the thumb gusset and a six stitch cable is a feature on the top of the hand. The main fabric is worked in knit 1 purl 1 rib allowing the mittens to fit a wide range of hand sizes. The cable patterns are charted but as the mittens are knitted in the found it is easier to follow the chart.
You will need:
- 2 balls of Aran/worsted weight yarn.
- 5mm needles, either 4 double pointed needles or 2 circular needles. If you want to use 2 circular needles it can help to have 2 needles make of different materials e.g. one metal and one bamboo or one wood. (If you know you are a loose knitter you should bring needles one size smaller or if you are a tight knitter bring needles one size larger)
- Cable needle
- Scrap smooth yarn and a blunt sewing needle for holding the thumb gusset stitches.
- A tapestry needle for sewing in your ends.
- Materials will be available to purchase on the day.
Knitting in the round using double pointed needles, knitting in the round using 2 circular needles, joining in the round, following a chart for the mitten pattern, working cables with (and without) a cable needle, increasing for the thumb gusset, taking stitches off onto a yarn holder, using a tread marker to mark the beginning and end of the round.
TICKETS TO BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE.
Eventbrite tickets incur a 5.5% +£0.49 per ticket fee – to avoid charges you can pay by card via our encrypted phone line or in cash, cheque, card or voucher in store (during open hours).