Finishing Techniques 1: Seamless Finishes with Fiona Morris
Sat 8th February @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm| £45
In this Finishing Techniques workshop, you will be shown a number of methods to seam and finish your knitted items.
The day will cover
- Sewing two pieces of knitting together, edge to edge with Mattress Stitch
- Sewing two pieces of knitting together, end to end with Mattress Stitch
- Working shoulder shaping with Short Row knitting
- Joining two pieces of knitting together with a 3-needle cast-off
- Understanding the importance of different methods of decreasing and where to position the decreases to make finishing easier.
Before the class
You will need to knit 4 pieces of stocking stitch at least 20 stitches wide by 30 rows long. The pieces should be knitted in DK or Aran weight smooth yarn (light colour) and should all have the same number of rows. When knitting the pieces knit the beginning and end stitches on knit rows and purl the beginning and end stitches on purl rows, DO NOT slip the beginning or end stitches.
You also need another 2 pieces of stocking stitch knitting 30 stitches wide by at least 10 rows but left ‘on the needles’ i.e. NOT cast off. These 2 pieces need to be knitted on the same size needles but they can be different colours. Again it is best to use DK or Aran weight smooth, light coloured yarns.
- The pieces of knitting you have been asked to knit before the workshop
- 2 pairs (or at least 3 needles) of the size the 2 pieces of knitting NOT cast off where worked on. (If you do not have 2 pairs of that size, bring a pair of needles 1 size smaller)
- Blunt tapestry or knitting sewing needle
- Spare yarn in the same thickness as the samples but in a contrast colour
TICKETS TO BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE.
Click the website link to visit Eventbrite, tickets incur a 5.5% +£0.49 per ticket fee – to avoid charges you can pay by card via our encrypted phone line or in cash, cheque, card or voucher in store (during open hours).
Refunds (less Eventbrite admin fees) are available up to two weeks prior to the start of a course. After this date refunds are at the discretion of Jolly Stitcher.